Monday, February 8, 2010

I got woke up last night to a crying baby. This really isn't out of the norm but her type of cry was. You see I have been blessed with a baby that in her almost 9 months of life has not yet gotten sick. That was till yesterday. Her big brother has a nasty cold and she got it. She just couldn't breath. I felt so bad for her but there was just nothing I could do. I had already done the act of sucking out her nose with that nasty nose sucker thing and put her on an incline but it just wasn't making a difference. I vowed today I would try the the remedy that a good friend of mine just sent me a couple of weeks ago. The break down is below.  Thanks Noelle! I am off to the store today to by the oils. I can't wait to see how it works.

Noelle Writes:
A very effective and gentle natural cough remedy for babies is an herbal rub. Start with 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add 2 drops of essential oils to the olive oil. Good oils to use are eucalyptus, sage, rosemary and peppermint oil. A mixture of eucalyptus and rosemary works really well at night, since the eucalyptus will calm your baby's cough and allow him to breath easier, while the rosemary helps calm him down and drift off to sleep.


Mix the olive oil and essential oils well, then apply the mixture to your baby's chest and back. If the baby is small, swaddle her in a soft blanket, otherwise keep his back and chest as covered as possible with a thicker, tight fitting shirt to build up body heat which will allow the essential oils to vaporize. As baby breathes in the fumes, breathing will get easier.

Noelle Also Writes:
Natural Cough Suppressant: I have found giving a child warm pear juice (8oz) mixed with cinnamon (1 tsp) during the day works really well.

As another Cough Suppressant I also found Elderberry Syrup (sugar free) specific for Respitory Support at the health food store.

I just wish I would have had these tips with my first baby! By the time he was 7 months old we had to get his first set of tubes. Can you imagine how much medication we had given him.

Update 2-9-10
I used the vapor rub on Sophia last night and it worked wonders!  I used it again tonight and she is already in bed sound asleep.  Thanks again Noelle!!!

No comments: