Thursday, April 1, 2010

Warning: Plastic Easter Eggs!

Warning To All Mom's And Dad's With Babies And Toddlers!

Plastic Easter Eggs Do Pose a Danger:
Just I few days ago I allowed my baby girl to play with some plastic Easter eggs that I had out for decoration. These eggs are of the traditional plastic variety that split in the middle, or side to side, allowing the top to separate from the bottom. (Not the newer style that split the egg down the side with the split going from top to bottom.) I in no way thought that this could pose a danger to my child. She played contently on the floor with the eggs and eventually lost interest with them and moved on to something else.
The same story occurred the following day as she was at the baby sitter. The sitter thought nothing of allowing her to play with the eggs, just as I had. However, this day my baby decided to put one of the eggs in her mouth, no problem, she wouldn't be able to swallowing the thing. Right?! Sophia has been very stuffy as of late and hasn't been able to breath through her nose. As she put the egg in her mouth it became lodged. She had the bottom half of the egg in her mouth and it was the same circumference around as her mouth, forming an "O". Her mouth formed a perfect seal around it. She wasn't able to breath. The sitter, because it was such a tight fit, was unable to slide her finger into the corner of her mouth to pop it out. Sophia of course began to gag and panic. The sitter manage to squeeze Sophia's cheeks together enough, with the egg having enough pliability to squeeze slightly together and pop out. What would have happened had she not been watching?! What would have happened had it happened the day prior? I had been making dinner as she was playing with them. She did not have my full attention. Luckily the sitter was there, it happened in a split second, and a second later it was over.

No comments: