Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Professional Pictures on the Cheap!

I have been asked many times by friends and family how I can afford to get my children photographed so frequently, "I must be spending a fortune!". Really I am not. I promise! Anyone who has $25-30 extra dollars a month can do it.

For the first year of my children's lives I get them photographed once a month. I love to watch them grow in pictures. I scrapbook them every month and I still have enough photos to hand out to some relatives.

1st You need to find a photo studio that is chain and has great coupons. This would be something like JCPenny, Sears, or Picture People. ( I use JCPenny exclusively. They just seem to offer the best coupons. )

2nd Study your coupons. Do you have to order a package or can you by any picture for a specific price per sheet? Do you have to pay a sitting fee? Do you get any thing free or at an additional discount. (Example: My favorite coupon from JCP is the one that is $3.99/sheet. You get a free traditional 8x10. And there is no Sitting Fee - Regardless if you are a portrait club member or not.)

3rd Make sure the package, if any, does not have to be all of one pose or that you can purchase a-la-cart on that coupon or package.

4th You have to find a photographer that you like and is good with your kids, at the studio. I am a little lucky as I have a JCP to either direction of me, within 30 mins. I have my choice.

5th Make a list (and stick to it) of all of the photos that you want for you, your relatives, in what sizes (Don't go overboard! Remember you are trying to keep the pricing down) [Example- I order: 1-8x10, 2 sheets-5x7 (4 total), 2 sheets-3x5 (8 total), and 1 sheet-wallets] I am usually able to walk out of the store for about $24 plus tax.

Things you will want to keep in mind:
  • Try to stay away from portrait studios that require you to purchase a package of all one picture and then add on the extra pictures you want/need. You will end up spending way more than you wanted on a pose that they pick rather than you. Although it may look like a good deal you will end up paying way more for pictures that you don't want.
  • Try to stay away from studios that require you to buy a package prior to buying a-la-cart.

No comments: